Coordinates Spiritual Care services, oversee spiritual and emotional needs of patient/family and staff, includes management and supervision of the volunteer chaplain program and per-diem chaplain
1. Provides spiritual care services in various situations such as patients undergoing surgical procedures, facing end of life issues or involved in traumatic accidents.
2. Provides comfort and support to patients’ families and friends.
3. Provides calming support to angry/distraught family members and friends.
4. Responds to urgent situations, including, but not limited to, medical emergencies (Code Blue) or death(s) and at the request of nursing supervisor, social work or RN case managers.
5. Supervises per-diem/on call, part time chaplain and volunteer chaplains
6. Participates in interdisciplinary rounds and patient care conferences to offer spiritual perspective and or religious status of patients.
7. Charts spiritual care visits and pastoral interventions in patient’s EMR
8. Works with hospital staff to enhance their sensitivity to the spiritual concerns of patients/families experiencing terminal illness, spiritual pain and distress, questioning meaning of life and facing end of life.
9. Provide care to staff members experiencing stress of patient care, support and facilitation for Critical Incident debriefing as needed in collaboration with the Employee Assistance Program as appropriate
10. Administers sacramental support, conducts religious rituals, funerals and memorials as requested or makes arrangements for these services by other clergy or faith leaders as needed.
11. Participate on Ethics committee and consult with staff and patients about ethical concerns, assist patients and family members complete advance directives (POLST) as needed.
12. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with diverse faith communities and churches in the area.
a. Education: Master’s Degree; in Divinity or Theology from an accredited seminary or equivalent degree required.
b. License: is not required however ordination and/or the endorsement from appropriate ecclesiastical authority for health care ministry and or certification/credential as a professional chaplain.
c. Minimum of one unit of CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) two or more units preferred and membership in a professional chaplain association such as Association of Professional Chaplains(APC), College of Pastoral Supervision and Psychotherapy(CPSP), National Association of Catholic Chaplains(NACC, National Association of Jewish Chaplains( NAJC), Spiritual Care Association (SCA).
d. Clinical back ground in counseling, psychology, theology or combination
e. Demonstrates understanding and compassion.
f. Uses excellent listening skills.
g. Ability to communicate respectfully across cultures and with persons of different faiths or no faith affiliation.
h. Prior experience in a hospital, hospice or health care setting as a chaplain or spiritual care coordinator required.
i. Demonstrates effective communication skills – writing and speaking.
j. Utilizes problem-solving skills.
k. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
l. Demonstrates high standard of ethical behavior, professionalism and confidentiality.
m. PC skills in basic word processing, Excel, PowerPoint and related programs
n. Demonstrates ability to work well within a team environment and collaborate at all levels of the organization.
o. Possess the ability to move across disciplinary boundaries, serving as an integral member of the clinical healthcare team
p. Bilingual skills a plus.
At Tuality Healthcare, an OHSU Partner, it's an honor and a privilege to serve those near us. That's why since our beginnings in 1918, and as we expand our strong network of services through our clinical affiliation with OHSU, we continue to be committed to providing the best health care possible and a valued community partner. Our affiliation with OHSU brings the advanced medical resources of Oregon’s only academic health center, which allows local providers to receive guidance from some of the country’s top specialists and pass that expertise on to Tuality patients where they can be cared for in their community.
Tuality’s many awards showcase our position as one of the Portland metro area’s premier healthcare providers, including 5th straight year in Top 10 Healthiest Employers in Oregon from The Portland Business Journal, Tuality’s 6th straight Gold Plus Award from the American Heart Association, and 2016 #1 Nationwide Best Hospital IT Department to work for according to Healthcare IT News.
Here at Tuality our employees care about making a difference. In fact, they care so much that in our most recent employee satisfaction survey we had an 80% participation rate! Tuality is truly unique because of the relationships we build and as individuals we are seen and heard. Come be part of our team, and let your voice be heard!