The Patient Advocate serves the organization in the intake, investigation, follow-up, resolution and documentation of incidents and patient complaints, grievances, concerns and inquiries at OHSU Tuality Healthcare. Working within a culture of safety framework the Patient Advocate provides support for the patient care experience to enable achievement of identified outcomes when barriers arise.
Responding to Patient Concerns - Responds to concerns brought by patients, their representatives or OHSU Tuality Healthcare providers or personnel. This activity occurs in person, on the phone, by written correspondence, by e-mail or web-site electronic transmission.
Investigates the concerns of patients/families/staff; defines the facts and recommends, advocates or implements a resolution or intervention consistent with OHSU Tuality Healthcare standards of practice and customer service standards, federal and state regulatory compliance. Provides written feedback to patient complaints according to office standards and OHSU Tuality Healthcare policy, and documents data into complaints management software for reporting and analysis of trends.
Communication - Responds to questions and inquiries about the policies and procedures, patient rights, The Joint Commission regulations, patient privacy and confidentiality and the Healthcare Information Privacy and Portability Act.
Interacts and collaborates with various departments, healthcare providers and personnel, management and administrative staff, and providers as needed to accomplish their work. Interacts with various officials from community, state or federal agencies as needed.
Professional Role – Practices with minimal supervision, in consultation and collaboration with the Director of Quality and other leaders as needed on significant issues, such as sentinel events, matters of policy, and formal grievances. The Advocate guides patients, families and staff to additional departments or resources as needed/indicated.
Provides staff education on matters related to patient rights as directed.
The Advocate assists the Director in the evaluation, revision and/or creation of policies and procedures as they relate to patient relations activities and patient rights. Participates in and supports compliance with state and federally regulated patient-care policies. The Advocate participates in appropriate committee, outreach and community liaison assignments as required by the Director.
Other – Assists the Director and accepts other tasks as assigned.
· Required: Master’s degree in Social Work
· Preferred: 3+ years of relevant clinical social work, including conflict resolution and mediation skills, Ethics consultation training, Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) training.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
· Preferred: Clinical Ethics Consultation certification or equivalent CISM certification, Active membership in professional organizations.
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Required: Excellent verbal and written skills. Conflict resolution skills related to patient care and communication issues. Knowledge and application of group dynamics collaboration. Knowledge and application of behavioral management skills, setting boundaries and explaining policies and procedures to individuals at various education levels. Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point) and typing proficiently. Knowledge of principles imbedded within a culture of safety
· Preferred: Proficiency in the Epic electronic heath record. Bilingual skills a plus.
· Required: Knowledge of regulatory bodies that govern acute care healthcare organizations and ambulatory care centers
At Tuality Healthcare, an OHSU Partner, it's an honor and a privilege to serve those near us. That's why since our beginnings in 1918, and as we expand our strong network of services through our clinical affiliation with OHSU, we continue to be committed to providing the best health care possible and a valued community partner. Our affiliation with OHSU brings the advanced medical resources of Oregon’s only academic health center, which allows local providers to receive guidance from some of the country’s top specialists and pass that expertise on to Tuality patients where they can be cared for in their community.
Tuality’s many awards showcase our position as one of the Portland metro area’s premier healthcare providers, including 5th straight year in Top 10 Healthiest Employers in Oregon from The Portland Business Journal, Tuality’s 6th straight Gold Plus Award from the American Heart Association, and 2016 #1 Nationwide Best Hospital IT Department to work for according to Healthcare IT News.
Here at Tuality our employees care about making a difference. In fact, they care so much that in our most recent employee satisfaction survey we had an 80% participation rate! Tuality is truly unique because of the relationships we build and as individuals we are seen and heard. Come be part of our team, and let your voice be heard!